1. POOLESVILLE TOWN WALKING
[See Full Poolesville Walking Trail Guide for More Detail]
[Return to Main Trail Map]
[Return to Home]
Click here to go to Google map.
Market Center for the Countryside
1.John Poole House
This is the oldest building in Poolesville, built in 1793 as a combination residence and store by John Poole, Jr. It now serves as The General Store Museum with furnishings that are based on authenticated period inventories and maintained by the Historic Medley District, Inc.
2. Old Town Hall – Poolesville Museum
The foundations of this building, the third to be built on them, are said to have been laid in 1826. The present building was constructed in 1907 and it served as a bank, going through several mergers and a closure during the Depression.
3. Baptist Church
Formerly a Baptist church built between 1864 and 1865 for members of the Rockville Baptist Church who formed a new congregation in Poolesville, this building has been adapted to commercial use.
4. Watkins House
This modest appearing house, typical of early nineteenth century village architecture, was owned by W. W. Poole who operated a small store in the building to its west side.
5. Merchant’s Hotel
This two-story brick structure was initially built as the home of Dr. Stephen Chiswell White about 1833. Its late-Federal style architecture is characterized by its proportions and decorative detailing, the latter including flat window lintels and the sawtooth-patterned brick cornice.
6. Frederick Poole House
Although extensively altered and enlarged in the late nineteenth century, this attractive residence is believed to have been built shortly before 1820 as it is mentioned for the first time in the tax assessment of that year.
7. Dr. Thomas Poole House
This fine example of Federal “town house architecture” was built in 1835 by Thomas Poole, a son of John Poole, Jr. There have been minimal alterations made to the original house, although a two-story east wing was later added to it.
8. Former Methodist Church
Built in 1826 by Poolesville Methodist (founded in 1816), this two-story brick structure was later converted as a YMCA (1892), the Poolesville Town Hall (1896), a veterinary clinic and a thrift shop.
9. “1785” House
It is not know from what source this pleasant appearing two-part brick house derived its name and alleged date of construction. It was built on one of the sixteen Alexander Whitaker lots of 1828 and its first recorded owner was Richard Poole.
10. Hoskinson House
The Federal detailing of this two-story brick house indicates that it was probably built about 1825-40. It illustrates the economic prosperity and building boom Poolesville experienced during the second quarter of the nineteenth century.
11. St. Peter’s Church
Built by Franklin Viers in 1847, this handsome brick edifice is one of the oldest churches in Poolesville. The parish itself dates to 11692 when an act of the Maryland General Assembly divided the state’s then ten counties into thirty parishes.
12. John Hall House
It is thought that the earliest part of this house was built of logs about 1800. Later extended at various times, it is now a pleasant rambling village house occupying an attractive setting.
13. Seymour House
This small dwelling suggests an early nineteenth century date of construction. Its good proportions and diminutive size contribute to the charm of the streetscape.
14. Presbyterian Church
Built in 1847-48, this severe brick building has experienced only one obvious alteration, the addition of the entrance vestibule. During the Civil War, Captain White’s cavalry surrounded the building during Sunday service to capture the emerging Union troops.
15. Residential Houses
The group of houses lining the east side of Elgin road are particularly interesting for their attractive situations and the diversity of late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century architectural styles represented.
16. Jamison Office Building
This group of white painted brick houses represents the urban aspiration of early Poolesville. Housing three individual dwellings under a common roof, it was built about 1830 near the site of the Poole brothers’ 1807 store.
17. Steven’s House
Thought to have been built in the 1940’s, this small, simple, ell-shaped house is a good example of late-Federal town house architecture. No additions or alterations of any substance have been made to the house since it was first built.
18. Beall Street Houses
The four houses on Beall Street are situated on lots subdivided in 1806 by Joseph Poole for his sons on what was then Coxen’s Road, then considered to be Poolesville’s main street. The first house you come to was built in the late 19th century and renovated in 1970.
House #19713 was built in two sections: the original, story-and-a-half brick section was built before 1828, in a style reminiscent of Tidewater Maryland architecture; the two-story frame wing was added in 1930.
House #19707 was pulled to this site by two steam tractors in 1912 from another site on Coxen’s road. Its main section was probably built in 1860.
19. Town Hall
Construction of the new Town Hall was completed in September 2008. It has public meeting rooms and offices for the town commissioners, town manager and other professional support personnel.
© Sugarloaf Regional Trails 2010.
All rights reserved.
Website design by Stone Graphics.